Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Good Move Bad Move AFC North

Afternoon Lakesiders! Were going to do a brief review of the best move and worst move of each NFL team so far during the off season by division starting with my favorite the AFC North.





Baltimore Ravens


Good Move: Resigning Ray Lewis- Let's face facts Ray Lewis is one of the best linebackers to play in the NFL, (easily in my top 5) and doesn't show any major signs of slowing up. This move keeps fannies in the seats and shows all the players in the locker room that Baltimore is the kind of ball club that rewards hardwork and dedication.





Bad Move: Not finding help for Joe Flacco- Now don't get me wrong I like the kid, and I feel in a few years he could be a true NFL talent, but right now Flacco is hardly more than a clock manager. He can make a few passes here and there sure, but if the Ravens want this kid to develop they should've gotten him more to throw to than the SSI collecting duo of Derrick Mason and LJ Smith.





Cincinnati Bengals


Good Move: Having a great draft class- The pick up of Rey Maualuga in the second round I have a feeling will be the steal of this draft in 5 years. Andre Smith was a smart pickup to protect a QB who's spent the last few seasons on IR, and I think Chase Coffman is going to be solid contributor early and often. It took Marvin Lewis long enough but I think the Bungles finally got a draft right.





Bad Move: Letting TJ Houshmandzadeh go- You have a Pro Bowl wideout who was easily the best player on offense last season and one of the few bright spots on the team, and you let him go knowing you're back up plan is Chad (I absolutely refuse to call him that ridiculous last name) Johnson who by the way has made it glaringly appearant he no longer wishes to be there. Then to replace him you get Levernus Coles (I know I spelled it wrong but his name wasn't important enough for me to look up on nfl.com, just like his play won't be important enough to get the Bengals anything more than 3rd place in the AFC North)

The Cleveland Browns

Good Move: Unloading Kellen Winslow & Keeping Brady Quinn- This one was a no-brainer for Mangini. You got one guy who is most likely a true NFL QB and gauranteed to keep fans happy, and another guy who came to the league with baggage and has made several bad decisions since being it. Now don't get me wrong I'm not saying the guy was T.O. and to his credit he's made some major strides in character since coming to Cleveland, but the fact is with the laundry list of injuries; the public feud with the bosses, and the eventual contract demands it was definitely in the Dawgs best interests to get rid of this guy for whatever they could get for him inspite of his tremendous play on the field.

Bad Move: The Cleveland Jets- Now I should preface this with the fact that if you were to prick me my blood would be either brown or orange but I wasn't exactly jumping for joy when I found out Mangini was going to be the new head coach. Don't get me wrong I know he had "some" success in NY but this is Cleveland. Here with the Browns you better win and you better do it fast or it's out you go. And I pray to God I'm wrong but importing the players that got you canned at your last job to play for you at your new one doesn't seem like the best way to do that.

Pittsburgh Steelers

Good Move: Resigning James Harrison & Hines Ward- I HATE THE STEELERS!!! Whew! Sorry had to get that off my chest. Where was I? Ooh yeah this is great because it allows one of the best complete wideouts of this generation an opportunity to finish where he started and keeps the Steeler's D just as mean and nasty as it ever was.

Bad Move: Not Resigning Byron Leftwich- Big Ben is a lot of things, an iron man just isn't one of them. Pittsburgh is about a deep a team as there is in the league but to not have a proven guy to backup a QB that most likely will wind up missing some games causes me to scratch my head.

No comments:

Post a Comment